So, this toast has an interesting backstory. We went to make an egg scramble this weekend and pulled all the veggies and herbs that we could find out of the fridge to prep. Then, went to grab the eggs. Um…no eggs. I swore I brought home eggs from the grocery store this week but apparently they never made it home!
So, without eggs, we improvised. And wouldn’t you know it was way better than the planned egg scramble. This was so good that we ate it twice this weekend — once for breakfast and once for lunch. Turned out to be a happy accident that I loved so much I thought I’d share it out today. And you really can’t beat something this easy to make. I hope you enjoy it!
Avocado Toast with Tomato, Onion & Thyme
- Cherry tomatoes halved
- Red onion cut into very thin slivers
- ½ avocado pitted
- 1 tbsp loosely packed thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Dash of lime juice
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 2 slices bread of your choosing I used rosemary olive oil and it was really delicious
1) Heat olive oil in a skillet; add onion and cook until softened. Add tomatoes and thyme, continue to cook and stir until tender, about 3 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
2) In the meantime, prepare the avocado smash by using an avocado masher tool to mash up the half avocado. Add a dash of lime juice and a pinch of salt and mix.
3) Toast the bread in a toaster oven. Let it cool.
4) Spread the smashed avocado on the bread. Top with the tomatoes, onions and thyme. Sprinkle with Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste. Drizzle extra olive oil on top if desired.
This recipe is vegetarian. You can also add or sub other toppings!