This is a super-simple recipe for Chickpea Pesto and Feta Salad — chickpeas tossed in delicious basil pesto with crumbled feta, red onions and toasted pine nuts.
I have a weakness for chickpea salads! They absorb the flavors of their ingredients so intensely and are so filling. Also, versatile — you could eat this as a tasty side dish, or as lunch on the go either on toast or in a wrap or a lettuce cup.
Chickpea Pesto & Feta Salad
- 1 ½ cans chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup basil pesto (store-bought or homemade*)
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ red onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts, optional
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Mix the chickpeas with the basil pesto in a mixing bowl. Stir in the feta cheese, red onion and toasted pine nuts.
2. Top with more feta and pine nuts, if desired. Add Kosher salt and black pepper to taste. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving to let the flavors blend. This is great on its own or with some crusty bread!
This can be made up to a day ahead.
If you want to make your own basil pesto, below is a quick recipe I’ve tried and liked.
*Homemade Basil Pesto
- 1 ½ cups basil
- 3 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1. Mix everything together in food processor except the lemon and oil.
2. Once everything is mixed well, drizzle with lemon and oil and mix again.
xx — BB