You all know I love a slow cooker soup in the winter, and this is one of the ones I make on repeat. It’s hearty – filled with broccoli, carrots, onion, and rice – it’s creamy, and it has both a crunch, and a kick. All the things! I make this vegetarian, which is what you will find below. But, I think a little bit of added bacon would add a nice smokey taste, should you decide to add that.
Creamy Broccoli & Wild Rice Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced (I just used the bag of shredded carrots)
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth
- ½ cup wild rice, uncooked
- ½ cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 3 cups half & half
- 2 ½ cups small broccoli florets
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Paprika, for garnish
1) Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, sauté the onions until tender and very slightly starting to brown, about 10-12 minutes. Add carrots and continue to cook 5 minutes until carrot is soft (if using shredded carrots, skip this step and go straight to the slow cooker). Transfer cooked vegetables to the bowl of a 4-quart slow cooker.
2) Add next 7 ingredients, broth through pepper, to the slow cooker, and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours, or until vegetables are softened and rice is cooked.
3) About 30 minutes before serving the soup, mix in the half and half, broccoli, and cheese, cover, and cook on low for another 30 minutes. Add additional salt and pepper, to taste. Ladle soup into bowls, and garnish with toasted almonds and paprika, and enjoy.