Lentil soup may not sound that appetizing to you, but I promise you this soup won’t disappoint! This is made with fire-roasted tomatoes, coconut milk, and curry powder—it’s rich, filling, and really delicious.
Spiced Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, more to taste
- 1 28-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dried French green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2½ cups water
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup diced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook until soft and lightly browned around the edges, 8-10 minutes, reducing the heat to low as needed.
2. With the heat on low, add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, lentils, water, coconut milk, ½ teaspoon salt, and several grinds of black pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer, stirring only occasionally, until the lentils are tender, 25-35 minutes. If your soup is too thick, stir up to 1 cup more water to reach your desired consistency.
4. Stir in the cilantro and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
This soup freezes well.