I recently made and loved these zucchini fritters! They are crispy with a slight tang from the goat cheese, and topped with a creamy garlic and chive yogurt sauce. This dish is a delicious way to eat vegetarian, low-carb and gluten-free. These fritters are also versatile – they make a great appetizer, main dish, or side. I served mine as a main with a side salad and it was a perfect meal.
Zucchini & Goat Cheese Fritters
- 1 ½ pounds zucchini, about 2-3 large zucchini
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for frying
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
1. Large grate the zucchini and put into a bowl. Sprinkle with salt, stir together and let stand for 15 minutes while you prep the other ingredients. The salt will work to draw the moisture out of the zucchini.
2. Remove as much liquid as possible from the zucchini by spooning it into a cheesecloth and squeezing, then return the zucchini to a clean bowl.
3. Add the shallot, eggs, goat cheese, almond flour, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. If your mixture is too soft, just add a bit more flour.
4. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat until it’s fully hot. The more oil, the crispier your fritters will be. Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop the same amount of mixture into the hot pan. Using a spatula, push down each fritter to flatten.
5. Cook the fritters 4-5 minutes on each side, or until they're lightly golden. You’ll want one side to be fully cooked before you flip, or the mixture will be too soft to hold together.
6. Remove the fritters from the pan and place them on a paper towel to dab away any extra oil.
7. Mix the sauce ingredients together in a bowl, stirring until creamy.
8. Serve the fritters with a dollop of the sauce, and enjoy!
• To store and reheat: Place cooled fritters in an airtight container and store for up to 5 days in the fridge. Simply reheat by baking them in the oven at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until warmed through.
• The ¼ cup size works well for a main dish or side, but you may want to go smaller if you are making appetizers.