I love a good arugula salad! On this one, bacon, walnuts and blue cheese add heartiness to it, while the orange dressing, arugula, and apples keep it light and fresh. This is a modified version of Ina Garten’s recipe—easy to make and delicious.
Cape Cod Arugula Salad
- 1 carton baby arugula
- 5-6 slices bacon
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced
- ¾ cup walnuts, chopped
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 8 oz. blue cheese, chopped or crumbled
- 1 orange
- 3 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- ½ cup Extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Arrange a wire rack in a pan. Place the bacon on the rack and roast for about 20 minutes or cooked. Let cool.
3. In a large serving bowl, toss the arugula with apples, walnuts, cranberries, and blue cheese.
4. Take the orange, and grate 1 teaspoon of zest and squeeze 2 tablespoons of juice into a small bowl. Whisk in vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, 1 ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the oil. This makes about 1 cup of dressing. It can be refrigerated in airtight container for a couple of days.
5. Chop the bacon into pieces and add to the bowl with the arugula. Add dressing to taste, tossing. Serve immediately.
Vegetarians can omit bacon and substitute avocado. You can also sub sliced almonds or chopped pecans for walnuts, and Roquefort for blue cheese.
xx — BB