This is one of the recipes I put on complete repeat this time of year. It has all the things I love in a recipe: slow cooker (AKA easy), customizable, and delicious! This soup is thick, creamy, and savory. Many times Baked Potato Soup is made with chicken stock but I make mine vegetarian-style. The bacon in this recipe is optional but I like loading on all the extra toppings for extra fun!
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 4 medium russet potatoes, approx. 1.5-2 pounds peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes. (I leave the skin on.)
- 1/2 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- black pepper, to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- red pepper flakes
- chopped green onion
- plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- chopped bacon (optional)
1. Chop your veggies and toss them in the slow cooker.
2. Add veggie broth, garlic, butter, salt, and pepper.
3. Set your slow cooker to HIGH and cook for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours. 4. At this time, for smooth soup, use a potato masher or to achieve desired consistency.
5. When ready to eat, mix in your cheese, milk, spices, and a spoonful or two of green onions. Add more broth or milk as desired.
6. Add toppings!