Consider this a PSA – whip your feta! This combination of the whipped feta and marinated cucumbers is light, fresh and savory. This dip is made with five simple ingredients and is delicious with fresh crudité or warm toasted pita. Serve it with cool cucumbers for a crisp, cool pairing.
Whipped Feta with Cucumbers
- 1 pound feta cheese, crumbled into large pieces at room temperature
- ¼ pound cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cucumbers—halved, seeded and ½-inch diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Toasted pita, for serving
1. In a large bowl, cover the feta with water and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to temper the saltiness. Drain and coarsely crumble the feta. Transfer to a food processor and puree. Add the cream cheese, heavy cream, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and process until smooth and airy. Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 2 days.
2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss the cucumbers with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Add the oregano and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 2 days.
3. Serve the whipped feta lightly chilled or at room temperature with the cucumbers and pita toasts – I brush mine with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper before toasting. I also added freshly sliced proscuitto.
Note – I like the diced cucumbers, but you can also slice cucumber and other veggies to use in lieu of pita.