My Mom used to make these when I was a kid and I decided to try making them again myself recently. Buttery graham cracker crust lays the ground work for the toppings: chocolate & butterscotch chips, toasted coconut shreds, pecans, and sweetened condensed milk. Just seven ingredients in total, thus the name. These are seriously irresistible and I could not stop eating them!
Magic 7 Layer Bars
- 2 cups crushed graham cracker crumbs, about 2 packs or 18 full crackers
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, lightly toasted
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Toast coconut for just a few minutes, to give it that bit of extra flavor. The edges should be just barely brown.
3. Process graham crackers in a food processor until fine crumbs (or beat with meat tenderizer until you have fine crumbs). Combine with melted better using a fork and pour into the prepared 9×13 baking dish.
4. Melt butter in a small saucepan or in the microwave. Stir butter into graham cracker crumbs with a fork until throughly combined and crumbly. Press into the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking pan to form the crust. Smooth out the graham cracker crust until even across the pan.
5. Evenly sprinkle remaining ingredients one by one over the crust to form layers, beginning with the chocolate chips, followed by the butterscotch chips, coconut, and pecans. Pour the condensed milk evenly over the top, and spread with a rubber spatula if needed, to make sure it's evenly distributed.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until edges are golden brown and the middle is set.
8. Allow to cool completely before slicing. Enjoy!
9. Store the bars in an airtight container. They will keep at room temperature for 4-5 days or in the refrigerator for a week.
Pingback: Thanksgiving Recipe Roundup – The Modifica