Homemade granola is really easy to make. Almost any combination of oats, seeds, nuts, honey, and salt will taste great baked. This one is my favorite – the creamy crunch of coconut flakes and the salty sweet combination is spot on. I served this with yogurt and an orange, topped with fresh orange zest. It’s a perfect complement to the granola, although you could use any combination of other fruit or eat it plain, too!
Crunchy Granola with Toasted Coconut
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 ½ cup raw hulled pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup raw hulled sunflower seeds
- ⅔ cup honey
- ½ cup cold pressed coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup fresh ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 300ºF.
2. Combine all of the ingredients but the coconut flakes, flax seed, and sesame seeds. Stir well, and then spread everything out on a rimmed baking sheet.
3. Bake for 30 minutes, but remove baking sheet and stir the granola after 15. At the 25 minute mark, fold in the coconut and flax. Bake for another 10 minutes (for a grand total of 35), or until the granola is a light golden brown.
4. Remove from oven, and set the pan out to cool completely before storing. Spoon into several large jars and seal. Granola should keep well at room temperature for up to a month.