This one-bowl chipotle black bean burger recipe is a new go-to for me. It comes together in under 30 minutes, so it’s perfect for an easy summer cookout or for a quick weeknight dinner at any time of year!
Chipotle Black Bean Burgers
- 3 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup grated yellow onion*, about ½ medium
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers from a can of chipotles in adobo – diced, plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Cooking spray, if grilling
- Brioche buns and any fixings, for serving
1. In a large bowl, combine the beans, onion, garlic, chipotles, adobo sauce, tamari, balsamic, cumin, salt, and pepper. Use a potato masher to mash until the mixture holds together but still has some visible chunks of black beans. Add the egg and use a spatula to fold until combined. Then, fold in the panko.
2. Use your hands to form the mixture into 6 patties. The mixture should be cohesive and a little wet. If it’s too wet to handle, chill in the fridge for 20 minutes to firm up or mash your beans a little bit more.
3. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Brush with a little oil and cook the burgers for about 5 minutes per side, until charred on both sides, turning the heat down as necessary. The exact timing will depend on the heat of your stove and cookware.
4. Alternatively, preheat an outdoor grill to 400 degrees F. Lightly brush the patties with olive oil, spray the grill grates, and grill for 8 minutes on the first side and 4 minutes on the second side.
5. Serve with hamburger buns and desired fixings.
• *Grate the onion on the large holes of a box grater. As you grate it, the onion will release a lot of liquid. That’s normal! Add the wet onion pulp to the black bean mixture, leaving excess liquid behind on your work surface.
• You can use any toppings you like – I eat these with chipotle sauce, lettuce, tomato, red onion and pickles.
0 comments on “Chipotle Black Bean Burgers”