This super simple parmesan chickpea soup has become a major staple in my dinner planning. It is so easy, flavorful, and comforting. Loaded with chickpeas, greens, a bit of pasta and a parmesan broth, it comes together fast, only requires a few ingredients, and tastes incredible. Perfectly light but comforting!
Simple Parmesan Chickpea Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 parmesan rind
- 4 cups vegetable stock, or chicken, if not vegetarian
- ¾ cup tiny-cut pasta, like ditalini or farfallini
- 1 ¼ cup frozen kale or 1 cup fresh kale
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese, for topping
- Lemon wedges, for spritzing
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Stir in the onion and garlic with a big pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, until translucent. Stir in the crushed red pepper flakes (even if you aren’t a fan of spicy, I think they really add to the soup.)
2. Stir in the chickpeas, parmesan rind and stock. Bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, add in your pasta. Cook until the pasta is al dente.
3. Once the pasta is cooked, remove the rind and stir in the kale. Taste and season with extra salt and pepper. Top with lots of parmesan cheese. Ladle into bowls and serve with a lemon wedge for spritzing.