This salad combines all the things! Kale, brussels sprouts, smoky toasted almonds, and of course, salty Parmesan cheese. The delicious lemon dressing has a slight sweetness to it and really brings all the flavors together with a bright finish. Like most kale salads, this saves well until you are ready to eat it. This would be great to make and take to a party as a side dish. Or, you may decide to just eat it by yourself!
Shredded Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad with Lemon Dressing
- 2 tbsp minced shallots
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp honey or agave nectar
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 bunch Lacinato kale (the thinner, flatter leaf variety)
- 1 bag finely shredded Brussels sprouts (I bought the pre-shredded)
- ½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- ½ cup grated or shaved Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
In a small bowl, whisk together the shallots, mustard, lemon juice, lemon zest and honey. Stream in the olive oil while whisking continuously until well combined. Season the dressing with salt and pepper to taste. (You can add more lemon juice or agave nectar to adjust the acidity or sweetness to your taste.)
To shred the kale, take a sharp knife and cut the leaves from the ribs, stack the leaves on top of one another, roll them up and then cut the roll into ribbons. Cut long ribbons down as needed. In a large bowl, toss together the shredded kale, shredded Brussels sprouts, toasted almonds, and grated cheese. Add dressing, tossing to combine. Garnish with more cheese (I did shaved, this time). This can be made a few hours ahead.