Perfect for football-watching, this caramelized onion dip is a favorite! It’s really great paired with kettle chips, but you could also do bagel chips or veggies. There’s no shortcut when it comes to caramelizing the onions—it takes time and stirring to achieve that deep golden brown color and delicious depth of flavor.
Carmelized French Onion Dip
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 cup sour cream (I used light)
- ¼ cup finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Salt and pepper kettle-cooked potato chips or fresh veggies, for serving
1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion, garlic, and thyme, stirring every few minutes, for about 35–40 minutes. You'll want the onion to be a deep golden brown, fragrant and very soft. Discard the thyme and let cool.
2. Mix the caramelized onions, raw shallot, sour cream, chives, and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Let this sit for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator to let the flavors meld, and up to overnight. Serve with potato chips or veggies for dipping.
Note: Dip is great made a day ahead. Simply cover and chill.