I recently had a similar salad in Sonoma and wanted to try and recreate it during these last weeks of summer! I’m a fan of anything farro these days – I love the texture and nutty taste. This adds on refreshing cantaloupe, cucumbers and fresh mint, sweet cherry tomatoes, and salty feta. A tart vinaigrette rounds out the flavors. This is simple and can be made ahead!
Farro Salad with Cucumber, Melon & Feta
For the farro salad
- 2 cups farro
- 2 cups thinly sliced cucumber half-moons (about 1.5 English cucumbers)
- 2 cups cubed cantaloupe, 1-inch cubes (about 1 small melon)
- 2 ½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- ⅓ cup fresh mint, small leaves or cut into chiffonade
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped chives or green onions
For the dressing
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Add the farro and cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain, spread out on a baking sheet and let cool.
2. Combine the cucumbers, cantaloupe, tomatoes and farro in a large serving bowl; set aside.
3. Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, shallots, 2 teaspoons Kosher salt and several grinds of pepper in a medium bowl until emulsified. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad, add the feta, mint and chives or green onions and gently toss until the salad is evenly coated. Serve chilled or at room temperature.