This is the simplest homemade tomato tortellini soup made from scratch. Loaded with fresh herbs, diced tomatoes, and three-cheese tortellini – and would pair well with a big Italian red wine! Pure comfort food when you need it!
Easy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (28) oz cans diced tomatoes
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil, more for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup full-fat plain Greek yogurt (at room temperature!)
- 18 oz fresh three-cheese tortellini
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bay leaves and crushed red pepper flakes.
2. Add the diced tomatoes and vegetable broth. Stir in fresh basil and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Simmer on low for 15 minutes.
3. Remove the bay leaves from the pot. Use a hand immersion blender to blend the soup. Stir in the Greek yogurt until well combined. Stir in the cheese tortellini and cook on medium-low until tortellini is cooked, about 5 minutes. Garnish with more parmesan and basil as desired, and serve.
If the Greek yogurt isn’t at room temperature, it will clot. Make sure to pull it out early to give it proper time.
Pingback: Simple Tomato Tortellini Soup — The Modifica | My Meals are on Wheels