When the weather starts to change, so do salad ingredients. Enter the star of this fall acorn squash salad — acorn squash, roasted until the starches break down and it takes on that yummy sweetness. The squash is paired with baby kale, red onions, chopped dates, toasted almonds, and fresh herbs. A tahini lemon dressing adds additional texture, a balanced finish, and a touch of brightness. This is hearty enough to eat on its own, but pairs well, too!
Fall Acorn Squash Salad with Tahini Dressing
- 1 medium acorn squash, halved, seeded, and cut into ¾-inch-thick wedges
- 1 medium red onion, cut into ½-inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 box baby kale, approx. 5 ounces
- ⅓ cup chopped dates
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Toss together the squash, onion, and olive oil on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Roast until golden brown and tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together the tahini, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of water in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk in additional water if the dressing is too thick.
3. Arrange the kale, squash, onion, dates, and almonds on a platter. Drizzle the dressing on top. Garnish with cilantro and serve.