Stuffed mushrooms can be time-intensive, but this recipe is quite simple and delicious. The filling is a crispy, savory combo of bread crumbs, garlic, pine nuts, sun-dried tomatoes, herbs, and cheese. They’re easy to make and great to serve to a crowd!
Easy Stuffed Mushrooms
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated pecorino cheese
- ¼ cup parsley, very finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons sundried tomatoes, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 large cremini mushrooms, stemmed
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. In a medium bowl, combine the panko, pecorino cheese, parsley, sundried tomatoes, pine nuts, garlic, salt and several grinds of pepper.
2. Place the mushrooms, cavity side up, onto the baking sheet. Drizzle the mushrooms with olive oil and sprinkle with salt before you do anything else — it adds good flavor.
3. Spoon the filling into the mushrooms, drizzle with more olive oil and bake until the mushrooms are tender and the filling is golden brown, 15–20 minutes. Garnish with parsley and sprinkle with red pepper flakes, if desired, and serve.
The best stuffed mushrooms have a little of everything in each bite. Chop your filling ingredients into small pieces that will evenly incorporate with one another. Aim for the sun-dried tomatoes to be similar in size to the pine nuts, and grate the cheese on a Microplane zester or the smallest holes of a box grater.
Use the largest cremini mushrooms you can find for this recipe. They’ll hold more of the breadcrumb mixture, and it will be easier to fill them.