The stars of this salad are ruby red pomegranates, Honeycrisp apples and fresh pears – all delicious this time of year! This also features goat cheese, pecans, and an apple cider vinaigrette with fresh ginger added for a kick. This salad comes together gorgeously, but it’s simple to put together. It will brighten up your holiday table, and liven up a regular weeknight dinner.
Pomegranate, Pear & Apple Salad with Ginger Dressing
- ½ cup raw chopped pecans
- 1 box baby arugula
- 2 ounces about ½ cup goat cheese or feta, crumbled
- 1 large Bartlett pear
- 1 Honeycrisp or Gala apple
- Arils from a pomegranate
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Slice the apples and pears. To make the pretty fans, slice straight down about ½″ from the core. Repeat on the remaining three sides, and discard the core. With the flat sides lying flat against the cutting board, cut them into very thin slices, keeping the pieces together as best you can. Then, fan out the slices into sections and place them around the salad as shown.
2. Toast the pecans in a toaster oven or skillet.
3. Arrange the arugula across a large serving platter. Sprinkle the chopped pecans and crumbled goat cheese over the arugula. Fan out your slices of pear and apple and arrange them across the salad in bunches. Sprinkle all over with the pomegranate arils.
4. To prepare the dressing, combine all of the ingredients and whisk until blended. Taste, and adjust as needed.
5. When you’re ready to serve, drizzle the dressing lightly all over the salad.