I have been making this chickpea salad for years and thought I’d share it. It’s a filling vegetarian lunch idea that is so easy to whip up! I made mine on rosemary sea salt sourdough bread, but you can also skip the bread and enjoy it on top of a green salad. Quick, so simple, and delicious.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 1 15.5-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 celery stalk, chopped (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard, plus more for serving
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bread of your choice, toasted
- Arugula or microgreens
1. Coarsely mash chickpeas in a large bowl with a fork or potato masher. Stir in the celery, parsley, mayonnaise, shallot, lemon juice, mustard, sea salt, and several grinds of black pepper.
2. Spread one side of toasted bread slices with desired amount of mayonnaise and mustard. Add chickpea salad and lettuce or microgreens.